MOVING FORWARD By searching our roots

A group of artists founded the Tennessee Art League in 1954 to provide a place for artists to exhibit their art and for the public to have free access to view their work. TAL has come far in 50 years; from finding gallery space between Third and Fourth Avenues in Nashville (Art Alley) to repairing the pediments of the Parthenon. After repairing the building; artist began exhibiting in 1955.  Some of the early Nashville artists, who later became nationally known, entered art in these exhibits.

The TAL started the Central South Art Exhibition in 1965 and this has been a prestigious art exhibit for Tennessee for over forty years. In 1975, the TAL bought a modest cottage on Poston Avenue for galleries and art education purposes. At the turn of the millenium, TAL had outgrown the little bungalow-it had and moved to a handsome three-story building at 808 Broadway. Just a few yards from the Frist Center. The new space provided more gallery, classroom and workshop space.

As the art scene grew on 5th Avenue, it was a given that TAL belonged on the Avenue of the Arts. The new site at 219 5th avenue is in the heart of the arts of Nashville, offering many more opportunities for viewing exciting exhibits and of course the Art Crawl on the first Saturday of every month free access.

Calling Nashville home for over 50 years, the Tennessee Art League serves visual artists throughout the Middle Tennessee area. Open to all levels, from emerging artist to professional artist, the TAL provides opportunities to exhibit in our galleries, participate in classes, workshops, and network with other artists.


Join Us! And be part of our history moving forward.



219 5th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37219 | (615) 736-5000

Tennessee Art League and Galleries